Welcome, Travelers, to the News lane on the Black Information Highway and The Mid-South Tribune ONLINE...Welcome, Travelers, to the 21st Century Underground Railroad...Subscribe FREE today to the BIHMST Channel on YouTube...


Search for:




Entertainment BIH LanesMain Lane States Lane   Adobe Reader







Black Information Highway Blog

BIHMST Channel on YouTube




Posted January 14, 2016

Mississippi Storm Survivors Urged To Register For Disaster Assistance


PEARL, Miss.  Homeowners, renters and business owners affected by the recent severe storms, tornadoes and flooding in Mississippi that occurred December 23-28, 2015, are urged to register with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), as they may be eligible for disaster assistance.

The presidential disaster declaration on January 4th makes federal assistance available to eligible individuals and business owners in Benton, Coahoma, Marshall, Quitman, and Tippah counties.

Affected individuals and business owners in designated areas can begin the disaster application process by registering online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov or by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). 

Disaster assistance applicants who have a speech disability or hearing loss and use TTY, should call 1-800-462-7585 directly; for those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 1-800-621-3362. The toll-free telephone numbers will operate from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. (local time) seven days a week until further notice. 

Assistance can include grants for temporary housing and home repairs and for other serious disaster-related needs such as medical and dental expenses or funeral and burial costs. Low-interest disaster loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) may also be available to homeowners, renters and businesses of all sizes to cover losses not fully compensated by insurance.

Mississippi residents should register with FEMA even if they have insurance. FEMA cannot duplicate insurance payments, but under-insured applicants may receive help after their insurance claims have been settled.

Registering with FEMA is required for federal aid, even if the person has registered with another disaster-relief organization. Registrants must use the name that appears on their Social Security card.

Applicants will be asked for the following information:

                                 Social Security number

                                 Address of the damaged home or apartment

                                 Description of the damage

                                 Information about insurance coverage

                                 A current contact telephone number

                                 An address where they can receive mail

                                 Bank account and routing numbers for direct deposit of funds.

Federal funding also is available to state and eligible local and tribal governments and certain private nonprofit organizations on a cost-sharing basis for emergency work as a result of the severe storms and flooding in Benton, Marshall, and Tippah counties.






        Refrigarator Cooking Editorial Videos